Rides: 179
Kilometers: 2294.8(approx.)

CO2 Saved: 701.1kg
Created by OnePlusYou

Saturday 6 March 2010

Like A Caveman Being Given A Spaceship

Cracking ride round Kentmere, Green Quarter and Cocklaw Fell this morning.

The sun was(n't) shining, it was dry and we were prepared for a new chapter in my (and Dr G's as well really) MTB career: the more manly option of the non-trail centre. Not that I've never ridden off piste before, but I usually take the easy option of the trail centre, mainly down to the lucky coincidence of having lived very close to one trail centre or other in the past 6 years.

It really was a good morning's (and early afternoon's) riding and a day of firsts including the Dr's new bike and his new tights. I had to make do with the new trail.

We made good use of the map and some nattily laminated directions, thanks to the inspired use of child labour, while chatting a lot of the way round. Which was nice. All the while with the thought in the back of our minds of a big lunch of veg chilli (which was delivered as expected upon our return).

Details of the whole thing would be a tad dull I reckon, so highlights included:
  • Dr G explaining to his new bike that it was likely to get dirty, "but it's okay".
  • Hunched-over "old pervert style" bib-tight induced relieving of oneself.
  • Inexplicably slow going over what appeared to be simply grass
  • Me: "My rear hub's quite noisy when I'm not pedalling", Old Man, disapprovingly, "Mmmm, yes".
  • A riveting discussion on which foot forward is best.
  • The good Dr calling me gay for reasons I forget.
  • Quickmud across the top of Cocklaw Fell, which the Doc - after avoiding my haphazard and slippy route - ended up sideways up to his elbow and knee in.
A thoroughly enjoyable session, lots of exercise and the reward of a nice Hawkshead lager at the end. Fantastic.

1 comment:

  1. Strangely, it was because you were eating apples and not because you were obsessing over my tights.

    ReplyDelete