Rides: 179
Kilometers: 2294.8(approx.)

CO2 Saved: 701.1kg
Created by OnePlusYou

Sunday 21 March 2010

Time Well Spent

2 bikes cleaned and 2 sets of gears adjusted, although the Giant's being particularly troublesome on the rear mech: slacken the cable tension off and it won't shift up the block properly but tighten it up and it won't shift down. It's a touch annoying but I may have another go next weekend. I've also trued the Giant's rear wheel. It's not perfect (yet) but is better than it was.

The big win is the front mech on the Ventana which has been rubbing on the chain in the middle ring for what feels like an eternity, and despite me being a very angry person when it comes to less-than-nearly-perfect bike mechanics I've just not taken the time to fix it properly. I did it this morning, so I'm basking in the glow of satisfaction.

I have had a thought though. In my current frame of mind I think my ideal MTB is the one I've got but with a through axle rear end, a hub gear and a Hammerschmidt front setup, so 16 speeds with no mechs. This spec begs the questions a) Can you bolt through a hub gear, b) do you need a tensioner for a hub gear on an MTB? And the obstacles in the way of (this week's) cycling utopia are the small issues of not having a bolt through swingarm and not having ISCG mounts on my frame. Mech it is then. For now...

No comments:

Post a Comment